The history of injection-moulding
A US citizen, John Wesley Hyatt and his brother Isaiah, patented the first injection-moulding machine in 1872. It was basic compared to machines in use today. Similar to a hypodermic needle it used a plunger to inject plastic through a heated cylinder into a mould, and produced products such as buttons and combs.
Arthur Eichengrün developed the first injection-moulding press in 1919, and in 1939 he patented the injection moulding of plasticised cellulose acetate.
Rapid expansion of the injection-moulding industry took place in the 1940s, as WW2 created a massive demand for mass-produced products. The plastic injection-moulding industry has evolved from the production of combs and buttons to manufacturing finished products and components for many industries including automotive, medical, aerospace, consumer products, toys, plumbing, packaging, and construction.
A typical modern injection-moulding machines is made up of a raw material hopper, an injection ram or screw-type plunger, plus the heating unit. Presses are rated according to their tonnage, expressed as their clamping force they can exert to keep the mould closed during the plastic injection-moulding process. Tonnages vary from less than 5 tons to over 9,000 tons
The Goodfish Group, currently employs 126 people across three facilities, two plants in the West Midlands (Cannock & Worcester) and one in North Wales (St. Asaph) with plans for a fourth facility in Slovakia. Our injection-moulding press range now extends upwards to 1,000 tonnes, allowing us to take on a wide range of work, while our vacuum-forming capability provides customers with additional options when considering the development of new products.
Since acquiring Honeywell’s manufacturing site in St Asaph in Jan-20, Goodfish has also been able to offer extensive extrusion manufacturing services to third parties, as well as highly skilled assembly and toolmaking capabilities, and extensive warehousing for tooling, raw materials and finished goods.